Friday, June 27, 2008

April


This has been such a busy month for the Petersen family. On June 7, Caleb was baptized and the next day Joshua was blessed. It was such a wonderful weekend for our little family, and a special time for Caleb and Joshua. Kade finished up the school year June 18 and our children just finished their school year today (June 26). We attended Elise's kindergarten graduation this morning. It's so hard to believe our sweet little sunshine will be a first grader. Maryn has been enjoying her status as big sister, taking care of Joshua and using all his baby things for her dolls. Joshua is growing so fast; it's hard to believe he's already 7 weeks old (June 24). He's teasing me about sleeping through the night. I've had so many sleepless nights as a mother that all his nightly feedings don't even phase me these days. Kade will start counseling for summer school on Monday. As for me, I was just released from YW after 3 years with the beehives. I now get to work with Haleigh as the Activity Days leader. I'm so excited for such a fun calling. The girls (15 of them, plus Maryn and Elise) were over at my house yesterday and it was fun to see all their personalities.

For my recipe I chose Pasta Puttanesca. It's super quick, super easy, and super healthy. Other than the capers, most items are pantry staples so it becomes an inexpensive dish to prepare as well. It only takes maybe 5 minutes of prep time and maybe 15 minutes of cook time. Our whole family will eat this, and I craved it so much after my first trimester in my pregnancy. Hope you enjoy it.
Pasta Puttanesca
8 ounces whole-wheat thin spaghetti, vermicelli or angel hair
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
1/4 cup pitted chopped Spanish or Greek olives
2 tablespoons capers
1 tablespoon fresh oregano leaves or 1 teaspoon dried
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes
3/4 cup chopped fresh arugula (I substitute spinach when I can't buy a bunch of arugula)
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add pasta and cook according to the directions on the package.
While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over a medium flame. Add the garlic and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the parsley, olives, capers, oregano and crushed red pepper to the skillet, and saute for 2 minutes more. Add the tomatoes and simmer for about 5 minutes. Stir in the arugula and simmer for 1 minute more, until the greens wilt slightly.
When the pasta is done, drain it and add it to the skillet, tossing it with the sauce to combine. Top with grated cheese.
Nutrition Information
Nutritional analysis per serving
Calories: 283
Total fat: 6 grams
Saturated fat: 2 grams
Protein: 12 grams
Carbohydrates: 47 grams
Fiber: 8 grams

No comments: