Friday, September 19, 2008

Some Thoughts on Potatoes

a small round flat potato we got out of our potato box
I discovered today how much growing up a certain way affects us the rest of our lives. I don't know how many of you remeber the potato box in the washroom, but I was thinking about it today when I was peeling potatoes for Justin's lunch, and I had to laugh to myself because I have my own potato box. I keep it under the bottom shelf in my kitchen where the sunlight can't get to it, but I can and there's planty of ventilation so they don't rot.
When Justin is helping me with dinner sometimes I tell him to go get three or four big potatoes out of the box. It's so funny to me because I remember helping mom with dinner or lunch when I was little, and mom telling me to go get six or seven potatoes out of the box.
I also remember peeling lots of potatoes growing up. I wasn't very quick at it when I was younger, but boy am I quick now. I think it helps that I have a very, heavy duty peeler, but all the same after years of practice when I was little I must be pretty good at it.
The first few months after we got married, Justin was pretty amazed at how many potatoes we ate. Pretty much most of meals I knew how to cook included potatoes of some variety and so we had them nearly every day. That and they are so stinking cheap especially here in Potato Country. It's like reverting back to childhood when we had meat and potatoes for every meal. Whether it was venison stakes with mashed potatoes or pasties or stew...potatoes pretty much made up half of every meal.
Luckily for Justin, even though I don't think he ever really minded because he never said anything about it, I have branched out my meal plans, and quite often we have Mexican and Italian dishes. Some of my favorite things I have learned to make since being married include baked burritos, chicken enchiladas, fettucini with alfredo sauce (from scratch), and lasagna.
All in all though, I don't think I'll ever depart from being a meat and potatoes kind of girl. My favorite Applebees order will probably always be steak and french fries or mashed potatoes.

2 comments:

April said...

I find it interesting how little things from our growing up years end up so naturally in our grown up ones. I usually always have potatoes in my pantry--no potato box, though. All of our produce out here is amazing and very inexpensive, except for the potatoes. They're always a little smallish and more expensive than when I was an Idaho neighbor (in Montana and Utah.) I'm proud of all your culinary skills.

Ann said...

I had forgotten about the potato box. But funny thing, I have one of my own. Good ol' potato box. Like April, I too find them a bit more expensive the further I've moved from potato country. Got to love potatoes.