Sunday, September 7, 2008

TROUT CREEK



Okay, okay, after numerous requests posted on the blog for details on the Trout Creek trip, I have finally decided to humor you. Okay, the truth is that I've been crazy busy and haven't even had time to look at the Chick Chat website for weeks. I do have a few minutes right now, so I thought I would write a bit.
Well, as you all know (or at least most of you), some of us went to Trout Creek for a few days during August. That "some of us" consisted of John, Jordan, Brandon (Jordan's friend), Alexus, Tyse, Mom, Amber, Shane, & I. We camped at Bull River, which is a few miles north of Noxon. I believe it was my third time camping at Bull River, and personally, I like it quite a bit better than North Shore--the campsites are larger and more spread out. It isn't nearly as crowded as North Shore. I like the swimming area better, and there is even a little trail back along the river where it is incredibly quiet & peaceful. Hooray for Bull River!


Anyway, we just did the usual Trout Creek events - swimming, looking for deer, etc. It was beasty hot (upper 90s and low 100s), so we (Amber, Shane, & I) were in the water quite a bit. John, Jordan, & Brandon fished the entire time, so we didn't see much of them.
Amber and I visited the Ross Creek Cedars one of the days. Ann, you will be happy to learn that they fixed the road after the avalanche wiped it out the last time we were there. I simply love the Ross Creek Cedars. That place is somewhat magical, I think. It is peaceful, quiet, and the lighting inside the forest is simply remarkable. And talk about the water! The creek is the most crystal-clear water you will ever find in the world. And it is fresh-off-the-glacier cold to boot--just one step above frozen. They just don't make water like that very often!
Amber & I also did some deer watching. We saw 109 deer the first night, and even some wild turkeys. A turkey hopped out of the tall brush in front of us. We stopped the car to watch it, and a few seconds later, one by one, little turkey babies started popping out of the brush to follow their mama. They crossed the road in front of the car and walked off into a farmer's yard. They were so cute!



We also popped over the Idaho border (only about 10 miles away) and went to the Cabinet Gorge Dam. It was pretty impressive. And the water was an incredible greenish color. Talk about photo-op.
On our way home from camping, Amber & I took the time to stop at the National Bison Range. Our best views of the bison were actually from OUTSIDE the bison range since the animals were by the fence along the highway. Bison are pretty interesting critters, you know? They make a low grunting sound - sort of like a pig. I like bison.
Well, that's about the extent of our trip. We did have a few unpleasant moments, but that is to be expected with any family outing I suppose. Let's just say that I have DEFINITELY ruled out camping as part of the upcoming family reunion (hey, remember we're having a family reunion?). It's hard enough for all of us to get along under the best circumstances, let alone put us out in the woods without hot showers, indoor plumbing, and comfy beds to sleep in, and we're asking for disaster. Anyway, I had a fabulous time at Trout Creek. I'm even thinking about taking a job at the Naughty Pine Saloon so I can live out there. : )





3 comments:

April said...

Thanks for humoring me, Toni. Simply gorgeous! I am so sad I don't live near enough to visit often. I don't think I've been to Trout Creek and the surrounding environs since we've been married. We've been nearby but ran out of time on our poor college student schedule. Good point about camping and the family reunion.

Ann said...

As always, you can't beat good old Montana scenery. Gorgeous pictures. I think I'll have to get me a copy. I think you'd be a perfect fit for The Naughty Pine.

Jill Day said...

thanks for the pictures. Made me want to go there even more, but maybe in the next couple years, we'll be able to make it up there. Justin and I found some vehicles that might come in handy for the reunion next year.